Why save a Jeep WJ?
The WJ (1999 to 2004) Jeep Grand Cherokee is one of the best Jeep's ever made.
How can this be? Better than a Wrangler? Yes, but there are few personal preferences involved.
- 4.0l Inline 6-cylinder engine is as durable as a tractor engine.
- The 4-speed automatic is as basic as it gets.
- The Selec-Trac four wheel drive system in incredibly durable.
- Modern, curvy SUV clothes over a tried and true durable platform.
- Classic chrome grille, huge outside mirrors, and roof rack for more space.
- Even today, it still looks better than most SUVs on the road.
- It can swallow an entire love seat, 79 cu ft with seats down.
- Interior space is usable, not obstructed with spare tires, speakers, etc.
- JMore recent model Jeeps have gotten bigger, but offer less cargo space.
Reliability & Repair
- Cloth or leather, the seats are super comfy.
- The ride is incredibly "Cadillac" for an SUV as it eats potholes.
- AC and heat for the most extreme of climates and a huge cargo box for sleeping.
- The powertrain (see above) is incredibly reliable.
- Parts are abundant. There are plenty of "abused" WJ's in junkyards to pick parts from.
- Anyone can pick up a WJ for a few grand saving many $$$$ over a brand new one that is less capable.